Video 2 - Participant Instructions
‘All information contained in these videos is taken from the ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 10th Edition’
To ensure the validity and reliability of tests, it is important that participants try to minimize the variables that may influence their results. This can be achieved by providing instructions to the participants prior to their appointment, ideally in writing and a number of days in advance. The following points should be considered for inclusion in these instructions, depending on the test type and purpose:
- At a minimum, participants should refrain from ingesting food, alcohol, or caffeine, or using tobacco products, within 3 h of testing.
- Participants should be rested for the assessment, avoiding significant exertion or exercise on the day of the assessment.
- Clothing should permit freedom of movement and include walking or running shoes.
- Participants should be made aware if tests are going to be fatiguing, and that they may wish to have someone accompany them to drive them home afterward.
- Participants should bring a list of their medications including dosage and frequency of administration.
- Participants should be instructed to drink ample fluids over the 24-hour period preceding the test to ensure normal hydration.